
The Kaduna State Police Command has launched an investigation into some officers captured in a viral video allegedly extorting money from motorists and cyclists during a stop-and-search operation.
In a press release issued on Tuesday, the Command said the Commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Muhammad, has ordered that the officers involved be identified and invited for full-scale investigation. Those found culpable will face disciplinary and legal sanctions.
The video, which circulated widely on social media, showed police officers conducting stop-and-search duties and allegedly collecting money from road users.
The command clarified that routine roadblocks and stop-and-search operations have been curtailed, except where there is credible intelligence on the movement of criminals, arms, or prohibited items.
It noted that the location in the video, a suburb of Millennium City, has previously been used by criminal elements. According to the police, 20 AK-47 rifles were recovered along the same route by operatives in an earlier operation.
“Notwithstanding these security concerns, the CP has made it clear that no Police officer is permitted to use legitimate security duties as an avenue for extortion, harassment, or any form of misconduct,” the statement said.
CP Muhammad commended members of the public for their vigilance and urged them to continue reporting unprofessional conduct. Complaints can be made to the Police Complaint Response Unit, CRU, on 09049498983, 08075391105, 07039675856.
The command reaffirmed its commitment to professional policing, accountability, and the protection of the rights and safety of all residents of Kaduna State.

