
The Zamfara State Government says it has treated 6,842 surgical and medical cases through its free Modified Medical Outreach programme since August 2023.
In a statement on Tuesday, the governor’s spokesperson, Sulaiman Bala Idris, said the latest phases 015, 016 and 017 were held from Friday, May 1 to Sunday, May 17, 2026, at Yariman Bakura Special Hospital, General Hospital Gusau, Eye Centre Gusau, and Farida Hospital.
The outreach provided free treatment for cataract surgeries, groin swellings such as hernias and hydroceles, repairs of vesicovaginal fistulas, and health education for beneficiaries.
“The Zamfara State Government’s Special Modified Medical Outreach is part of Governor Dauda Lawal’s resolve to address identified serious medical cases to enhance the health and well-being of the people of Zamfara,” the statement read.
It added that the programme also educates citizens on maintaining good health and wellness, describing it as “a positive step towards improving the community’s overall health and well-being.”
According to the statement, the 17 phases conducted so far include 5,282 surgical cases and 1,200 medical cases. Services covered seropositive cases, groin swellings and lumps, cataract extraction, VVF and uterine prolapse repairs, and other special and general surgeries.
The outreach uses tele-screening to provide specialist care to patients in rural and semi-urban areas across all 14 local government areas of the state.
The government said it would continue to provide medical assistance for identified special cases to benefit vulnerable residents.

